This is a fantastic opportunity to join a passionate and ambitious design studio in a unique central government environment.
You’ll be managing a team of designers, animators and copyeditors, providing leadership through the discovery, development and delivery of projects that make a difference to people’s lives.
This is a hands-on role that involves designing as well as managing, so you will have a broad set of design skills and a strong desire to produce considered and crafted creative solutions for a wide range of briefs. You are naturally motivated, work well independently, are ambitious and have a positive attitude. You will enjoy collaborating with others across the organisation, keeping a focus on design quality.
Reporting to the Head of Design and Artwork you will be part of the Design102 management team and be actively involved in shaping the studio’s development.
Are you passionate about great design? Do you want to help government communicate effectively? Do you have a portfolio demonstrating a range of creative projects?
Your main responsibilities will include:
- leading and line managing a team of designers, animators and copyeditors, building capability and developing individuals
- working to creative briefs, with 50% of your time spent designing, providing creative direction, and quality assuring work, either individually or as part of a team
- working with the Head of Design and Video to set the direction for your team with clearly defined team roles, responsibilities and objectives
- managing the day-to-day delivery of the team’s projects while providing first-class customer service, and prioritising and re-scheduling when necessary to ensure all deadlines are met
- providing quality assurance checks for all creative work to ensure final results that fit the brand, brief and budget
- working with the management team to ensure processes and resource allocation help us to be effective, by overseeing prioritisation and managing conflict demand
- working closely with the client management team to ensure positive, constructive and efficient client relations
- scoping, quoting and producing schedules, working closely with other design managers, the artwork manager and the client team
- building a culture of customer service excellence
- actively continuing to build the animation, copyediting and illustration skills within your team while identifying new disciplines or techniques to learn
- ensuring all products are digitally relevant and use accessibility best practice
- promoting cross-team working whenever possible, and identifying when other Design102 services – copy editing, photography and video – can be incorporated within projects
- actively encouraging and helping your teams to interrogate, scope and challenge briefs appropriately
- identifying and supporting succession planning and individual career development within your team
- having oversight of you and your team’s use of Panacea and other time management systems, ensuring it is up to date and is accurate
- leading on all branding-related issues for client identities and the Government Identity System
- managing upwards, with the confidence, credibility and ability to challenge decisions, negotiate, persuade and influence
- liaising with the Head of the Design and Video to recruit freelance or permanent staff as required
- developing the capability of the team to think creatively and come up with creative solutions
- setting and maintaining design and quality standards ensuring exceptional attention to detail for all projects
- presenting finalised ideas and concepts to clients as required, explaining clearly and confidently why the creative work matches their strategy and brief
- managing and monitoring the team’s customer satisfaction survey results, measuring performance against agreed targets and taking appropriate action where needed
- keeping abreast of trends and technologies in design, digital and print, and ensuring the team’s solutions respond accordingly
Essential experience and personal skills:
- degree (or equivalent) in a design-related subject or equivalent practical on-the-job experience
- in-depth understanding of design, animation, art direction and production techniques
- in-depth knowledge of industry standard design applications such as Adobe Creative Suite
- achievement drive with strong project management and organisational skills
- excellent people management and leadership skills – able to manage, motivate, mentor and deliver effectively through others
- good commercial awareness to help monitor cost effectiveness of service delivery
- sound judgement and a flexibile approach to produce effective results and appropriate, creative solutions
- confident communicator with good presentation skills: able to persuade, negotiate, influence, work collaboratively, network
- knowledge of the techniques and technologies used in commercial printing and print production understanding and experience of branding, campaigns, animation and digital design